In honor of our friend St. Patrick I thought I would post. This is a really good and easy recipe for corned beef.
Corned Beef and Cabbage
One 3 pound corned beef flat cut brisket, in brine
Water to cover in pan
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
4 whole allspice
2 whole cloves
½ head green cabbage cut into wedges
8 small new potatoes (about 1 ¼ pounds) halved
4 carrots, cut into chunks
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place the corned beef in a colander in the sink and rinse well.
3. Place the corned beef in a large dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid.
4. Add the water to cover, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and cloves.
5. Bring to a boil, uncovered and skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
6. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven, braise until very tender, about 3 to 3 ½ hours.
7. Transfer the corned beef to a cutting board and cover tightly with foil to keep warm.
8. Add the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots to the cooking liquid and bring to a boil.
9. Lower the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender – about 20 minutes.
10. Using a slotted spoon – remove the vegetables from the liquid and transfer them to a large platter.
11. Slice the corned beef across the grain in thin slices and arrange on platter with vegetables.
12. Ladle some of the hot cooking liquid over the corned beef and season with pepper.
13. Serve immediately with stone ground mustard or horseradish sauce.