Monday, February 21, 2011
6-8 Tbl. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 - 1 tsp. pepper
dash of cinnamon (optional)
*Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil for easier cleanup.
*Cut off ends of squash and discard; peel squash; cut in half lengthwise and discard seeds.
*Cut squash into 1.25 inch cubes (large and uniform is good).
*Combine melted butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add to squash and toss to coat evenly. *Add a dash of cinnamon for extra flavor.
*Spread all out in a single layer on baking sheet.
*Roast 45-55 minutes, until squash is tender and glaze begins to caramelize.
*Turn squash a few times while it's roasting to be sure it browns evenly.
This is light and delicious, and even those who say they don't like squash will really like this!
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
2 cups flour
7 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/3 cup butter (cold)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup orange juice (heavy or medium pulp)
1 cup craisins
Heavy cream to brush top of scones
1 cup powdered sugar
1 - 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, orange zest in large bowl.
- Cut in cold butter until mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl mix together cream, orange juice, egg then add craisins.
- Pour liquid mixture into crumb mixture, mix together until it becomes a soft dough.
- On a lightly flour surface knead dough 6 - 8 times.
- Press into two 8 inch circles and cut each into 6 wedges. Place on baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with Pam.
- Using 1 tablespoon heavy cream, brush tops of scones and sprinkle remaining 3 teaspoons of sugar over the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
3 cups oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup flaked coconut
¼ cup wheat germ
2 Tablespoons flax meal
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup oil
½ teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried craisins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients except craisins and almonds in a large bowl.
- Add honey, oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Spread on a lightly greased baking sheet and place in oven.
- Cook for 5 minutes and rearrange granola on sheet.
- Add almonds and continue to cook for 5 to 7 more minutes until the granola is starting to turn golden brown. It will darken slightly as it cools. If you add the almonds at the beginning of the cooking period they may burn.
- Add dried fruit to still hot granola and allow it to cool.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container.