Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins
7 Tablespoons unsalted butter - softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1/3 cup white or raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line 12 muffin cups.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and beat until pale yellow and smooth.
4. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
5. Add the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla - beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
6. Stir until just mixed - overmixing causes tough muffins!
7. Spoon the batter into the muffins cups evenly and sprinkle tops with a mixture of the sugar and cinnamon.
8. Bake until golden brown and springy to the touch - about 20-25 minutes.
9. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from William's Sonoma Muffins cookbook.