The best cut of meat that I have found for this is Beef Shoulder - if you can get part of the shoulder blade in there it makes it even better.
Disclaimer - I made this yesterday and did not make the caramelized onions or roasted carrots - we ate the carrots that braised with the beef - they were delicious!
Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions and Roasted CarrotsIngredients:
For Pot Roast
½ cup canola oil
salt and pepper
3 – 4 pound beef shoulder roast
1 cup dry sherry
4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped
8 stalks celery, peeled and roughly chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1 bay leaf
About 8 cups chicken broth
For Roasted carrots and caramelized onions
6 medium carrots, peeled, halved horizontally, then halved lengthwise
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 medium mild onions, sliced crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350 F.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper.
3. In a large Dutch oven or other ovenproof pot, heat oil over moderately high heat unitl hot
but not smoking.
4. Add beef and sear until dark brown and crisp on all sides.
5. Transfer beef to a large plate, pour off oil in pan and discard.
6. Add sherry and simmer, uncovered over medium heat, scraping up browned bits until
reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
7. Pour reduced sherry into a heatproof liquid measuring cup.
8. In the same pan, combine carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and bay leaf. Lay beef on top of
vegetables and pour reduced sherry over top of beef.
9. Add enough chicken stock to cover ¾ way up the beef.
10. Cover pan and place on lower rack of oven and roast until fork tender – about 3 hours.
11. While beef is roasting prepare carrots and onions. During final hour of roasting, toss
carrots with olive oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
12. Spread carrots on a baking sheet and transfer to upper rack in over – roast until tender
and slightly browned, about 45 minutes.
13. Heat canola oil for onions in a skillet over moderately high heat. Add onions and sautee
until caramelized – about 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
14. When beef in finished, remove from pot and cover with foil to keep warm on serving
platter. Drain juices through a sieve, discarding solids, and skim off fat. Return liquid to
pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly reduced and season with salt and pepper.
15. To serve, combine carrots, onions and half of juices in a bowl and serve with sliced beef
and rest of juices in a gravy dish.