Half the recipe and it makes 16 good sized rolls - make the whole recipe and freeze half for later in the week!
5 ¾ to 6 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1 cup water
1 cup whole milk
½ cup butter
melted butter, if desired
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast, mix well.
2. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk and ½ cup butter until very warm.
3. Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture, blend at low speed until moistened.
4. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
5. Add an additional 2 ½ to 3 cups flour and kneed until dough pulls away cleanly from
sides of bowl.
6. Add an additional 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ cups flour and kneed on medium speed for 3-5 minutes –
until dough is smooth and elastic.
7. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover loosely with a towel.
8. Let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
9. Punch down dough and divide it in half.
10. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
11. Using half the dough, divide into 16 equal pieces.
12. Shape each into a ball, pulling edges under to make a smooth top and place balls, smooth
side up, in greased pan. Do this twice and use all the dough.
13. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 20 to 30 minutes.
14. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
15. Uncover dough, brush with egg wash(1 egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon water) and bake 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
16. Immediately remove rolls from pans and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes.
17. Brush with melted butter if desired.
18. Serve warm or cool.