1 pkg dry yeast
¼ cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
5-6 cups flour
1. Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup water and let proof for 5 minutes.
2. Scald milk. Remove milk from the heat and add butter to milk and allow to melt.
3. Add sugar and salt to the milk mixture. Allow this to cool to lukewarm.
4. Add eggs and vanilla to mixture.
5. Add the yeast/water mixture to the milk mixture.
6. Add enough flour to make a dough the is stiff enough to knead, but not too stiff. Dough should be a bit sticky.
7. Knead dough 10-20 minutes until it’s smooth or knead in an electric mixer for 5-8 minutes until dough bounces back when pressed.
8. Place kneaded dough in a large greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size in a warm place.
9. Punch the dough down.
10. Divide the dough into 6 equal part and roll each into a rope that it 12-15 inches long.
11. Braid 3 ropes loosely together, tucking under the ends.
12. Place on a greased baking sheet and cover with a towel.
13. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size again, about 1 1 ½ hours.
14. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
15. Brush tops of loaves with a beaten egg and a dash of water.
16. Bake 20-30 minutes or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped.