White Chicken Chili
2 (15 oz.) cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained (Bush's if you can find them)
1 large onion, chopped
1 stick unsalted butter
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (1 14 oz can)
2 cups half and half (or 1 cup milk and 1 cup half and half)
1 teaspoon Tabasco – optional
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
dash cayenne pepper
two 4-ounce cans mild fire roasted chopped green chilies with their juice
1 whole rotisserie chicken shredded – white and dark meat
6 ounces grated Monterey Jack Cheese – about 1 ½ cups
½ cup sour cream
Garnish – fresh cilantro sprigs
1. Drain beans in a colander and rinse.
2. Melt stick of butter in large heavy pot over medium high heat and add onions. Saute until the onions turn translucent but do not brown.
3. Add flour to butter and onions.
4. Turn heat to LOW and whisk constantly for 2 minutes making sure it doesn’t turn brown.
5. Add broth and half and half, whisking constantly.
6. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. The mixture should be thickened. If it is too thick add a little broth or water to thin it.
7. Stir in Tabasco - if using, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
8. Add beans, chilies, chicken and cheese.
9. Cook over medium low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips on the side.
It is so easy and makes a lot - great for Sunday dinner. You'll have lunch for a few days!