Quatre Epices Braised Beef and Onions
2 1/2 pound boneless beef chuck roast
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (kosher preferably)
1 1/2 pounds onions - about 6 onions - halved then sliced into half moons
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
HEAVY DUTY ALUMINUM FOIL - or dutch oven with tightly fitting lid
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in middle of the oven.
2. Pat meat dry.
3. Stir together cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub all over meat.
4. Spread half of the onions and half of the garlic in a 13 x 9 inch roasting pan, arrange meat on top and spread remaining onions and garlic over the top.
5. Cover pan tightly with foil and roast, turning meat over after 1 hour, until meat is very tender - about 2 1/2 hours total. Make sure to recover tightly after turning meat or all of the juices will evaporate.
6. To serve, slice meat across the grain and place on platter with onions and pan juices poured on top.
7. Served with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots - delicious!!
NOTE: Beef can be braised 2 days ahead. Cool meat in juices, uncovered, then slice and chill in juices, covered. Reheat, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.